Tuesday, October 26, 2010



This picture inspired this post. Last weekend we had family pictures, we all know how family pictures go. Needless to say, my dad refuses to smile most the time-he has a complex about it. But of course we know his real smile and want documentation of it for posterity (p.s. won't he be such a cute grandpa?). But as soon as I saw this picture, my heart melted. These are two people who mean the most to me.

My mom and I are learning more and more how to be better friends. We have very opposite personalities in some ways, but in other ways we're exactly the same. But my mom is my rock. She always makes sure I'm staying healthy. Sometimes I know things will be better, just if I can talk to her. But perhaps what I love most about my mom is her love for the gospel. No matter what we talk about or what I'm struggling with, my mom always bears her testimony (in simple ways). Her trust in God and faith always give me hope. She's one busy women, but her life is filled with service and care for others.

My dad is my pal. Being the oldest marks a spot in his heart that no else can have. My dad and I are a lot alike. I guess I took more from my dad's side of the family. We're practical, less emotional, and to the point. However, my dad is my ever faithful cheer leader. His heart has turned soft as he has five very girly girls. He was always the one to barge into the high school counseling office and fight our battles. Whatever our interests are, he supports and encourages. Because of that he goes scuba diving, attends horse shows, searches for spinning wheels, and attends soccer games. Isn't that cute? He also gets lumpy (as my mom calls it) if I don't call and chat with him. Oh how I love my daddy.

But together, my parents make a complete whole. My mom is English and art and my dad is math and science. My mom makes sure we eat lots of veggies and my dad sneaks in the meat. My mom is the emotional side and my dad is the logical side. And most importantly they are strong in their family-together.

How grateful I am for them and for their examples to me. They have made me who I am today and I love them.

2 comments:

  1. Ahhh, dads are so cute when they smile!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, I have a lump in my throat now. That was really sweet. You do have great parents. Lucky girl.

    ReplyDelete

Followers