Tuesday, November 9, 2010

small and simple

Saturday I woke up and the first thought that came to my mind was 'crap'. As I rolled out of bed my head felt like a blueberry that was going to pop, my throat was sore, and I was sorta dizzy. I knew this was not a good sign. But seeing as I hadn't had any symptoms till now, I thought that if I got up and going and took some vitamins I'd be good to go.

Oh how wrong I was. Getting up only made it worse. So I took some stuff and curled up on the couch with a blanket for a few hours in hopes that it would all go away. When I woke up no such luck. It looked like my body was going to fight me on it today.

So I had two choices:

1-Find the strongest pain/flu medicine available and muffle through homework

or

2-I could surrender and spend any energy I had in getting better

I'm known to be task oriented and with homework looming in the back of my mind I had to really think about it. But having gone through this before, I realize that pushing your body to the cliff's edge is pointless.

So I surrendered. My roommate made me herbal tea and my other roommate equipped me with a space heater and there I laid for the next two days. On a scale of 1 to 10 of sickness, I was probably a 6.53...not so bad right? But what I feared most was that it was just the kick off to the plague, and that's what made me pick number 2. With so much on my plate this semester I COULDN'T afford to be sick any longer than a few days.

But here is where blessing number one comes in. As I was having this inner battle between my head reminding me of my responsibilities and my body telling me no way, I had a comforting feeling come over me and I knew that I would be ok and that my homework load would work out. So with that thought, I said "OK BODY LET'S RELAX."

With hourly doses of vitamins and lots of sleep, I was feeling some better. By Sunday night I was feeling pretty good and thought Monday wouldn't be so bad. Wrong-o. I suffered through work and skipped two of my classes. I got home feeling somewhat panicked. This couldn't be happening to me. I can't be sick. I came home and took more pills, said a prayer, and slept for a few hours. I dragged myself out of bed and made it to my stats class, only to be hit with another blessing. Homework was moved until next week. That may sound like a little thing, but let me tell you, that was nothing short of a miracle.

I came home very grateful, took more pills, and landed on the couch. But within an hour or so, I didn't feel so bad. In fact, I felt like doing something. Seizing the opportunity, I went over to my homework table (because my capstone project has taken over my house as well) and started typing. And type, type, type, I did until 10:30pm, blessing number three. I had no flu symptoms, no head ache, and no icky feelings. I was able to work on my huge project and get most of it done. It was like someone flipped a switch and I was instantly better.

As I knelt by my bed that night, I was over come with gratitude. I was grateful for my body that has put up with so much stress and such a hectic schedule. I was grateful for the all the home remedies I had. I was grateful for the sweet reminder that I am part of a greater plan and it's not just me here in this world trying to wade through the daily muck. I was grateful for the little things that happen each day that witness to me that Heavenly Father knows me personally. I realize they were small things, and that it may not even seem like a big deal. But to me it was a very big deal. It was a direct answer to prayer. I've come to love and appreciate the small and simple things. It's the little things that are sprinkled throughout the week that remind me that I am loved and that I have a higher power to trust in. And with that faith, I can rest easy knowing that it will all be ok.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers