Wednesday, September 22, 2010

P.S. long post

One thing is for sure, this semester is making me think. I whine about hard classes, but I really do enjoy learning and making my brain stretch a bit. In fact there are lots of thoughts going through my head.

One of my classes that I quite enjoy is Abnormal Psych. Yes, laugh if you must but it really is quite fascinating. What is abnormal? Is it being in the minority that makes you abnormal? Is it doing your own thing-even if others think it's 'weird'? Does it require a certain amount of symptoms? And if so, why are those symptoms labeled abnormal? I keep thinking about these questions and my mind can't quite make up its mind. Oh and just to throw it out there, why do we do animal testing?

Another thing, in heaven how did the whole sorting thing go? How did we get placed all over the world, some in third world countries and others in wealthy Orange County, CA? Also, why do horrible things happen to one person but not so much for someone else? I ask these questions after sitting in my human life span development class for the past two days. Our assignment was to write a paper on a critical life event, then we could share them in class for extra credit. Needless to say, after hearing everyone's stories I felt like my "critical life event" was nothin' to even worry about (in comparison). I was quite surprised at how open people were about their lives. Some of the stories shared were so intense.

-One girl from Africa saw her father shot by the regime, had her mother die 6 months later, and then spent the rest of her childhood being abused as she was adopted, in foster care, and being passed around the family/world. How does she even wake up in the morning? But she's going into nursing so she can go back to her country and save woman's lives.

-One girl had several abusive relationships, and then was raped. But somehow she got married and has a child. She now wants to go into social work to help other kids.

-A guy was heavily into drugs and was partying on top of a parking garage. He ended up falling off and is now paraplegic. Now he goes to rehab programs and talks about his story.

-Probably 5 people shared their intense drug stories as well. Where drugs and their addictions took over their life. At least the good news is now they are sober and dealing with life.

-Then, the last one broke my heart (in a different way). She grew up in a family of 9 and she said they were raised like LDS fundamentalist/polygamists (they weren't polygamists). Being totally sheltered from everything, she came to college and life hit her in the face. She's now dealing with things and really struggling. She got married to the first guy that was nice to her and now he's leaving her and moving out of state for a job. As she told us her story, she just cried and cried.

So my question is, although we have our choices-not all that happens to us is due to our own choosing. I realize that we were sent to earth to be tested and strengthened, but why did that girl have to watch her father die? Why do I have an awesome family, attend college, and have thus far come out without too many bumps and bruises?

OH and one other things. I don't understand how people don't believe it God. How can you serve a mission, be raised in the church, and then go through the motions? I can answer my own question, but it still boggles my mind. To me, after all that I've talked about today, God is the only answer to all of my questions. God and Jesus are the only one who can heal the hearts of those who haven been wounded. God is the only one who truly knows us and what we really have gone though. I'm so very thankful that God is the one to judge in the end. God's love is the only way I do each day, knowing that at any moment I can drop to my knees and plead for help and then without a doubt knowing that I will receive strength. Knowing there is a God is my only hope. God is my foundation.

Man, if you've made it this far, you deserve a gold star. It feels good to get it all out of my head and form it into some words.

On a lighter note.....



This is the most wonderful pumpkin patch I've ever seen in my life! I keep thinking of this vacation I took to California with my parents for my 21st birthday. I would love to be there right now!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers